Information for Asylum Seekers & Forced Migrants

Here at Keele we believe that everyone has the right to education and are working with Article 26 and the Helena Kennedy Foundation to ensure that education is accessible for all on the basis of merit. We welcome applications from asylum seekers and those from a forced migrant background and can provide information, advice and support to both applicants and current students.

Applying to Keele and Tuition Fees

visa icon

You can apply for a course at Keele regardless of your immigration status. However, your immigration status will affect what tuition fees you are required to pay and whether you are eligible for UK Government Funding.

Waiting for a decision & Limited Leave to Remain

If you're an asylum seeker and the Home Office has not reached a decision on your application, or you have received some form of temporary status such as limited leave to remain, you should be classed as an overseas student for fees purposes. You will be liable to pay the tuition fee yourself and you’ll not be eligible to receive UK government funding. 

For more information please our Admissions Team.
Please note, some students with temporary status may be eligible for funding under the long residency category. For useful information regarding eligibility under this category see .

Refugee Status

To be considered to pay the home rate of tuition fee, you must be resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of your course and have been awarded Refugee status by this date. For courses that start in September the first day is defined as 1 September, for Postgraduate courses that start in January it is 1 January.In some circumstances spouses and children of someone granted Refugee Status can also qualify for home fees too.

If the UKVI make a decision on your application and award you refugee status after 1 September you may become eligible to pay home fees from the start of the next academic year.

If you are awarded refugee status before 1 September at the start of your course you could be eligible for UK Government Funding to pay your tuition fees, support your living costs and support study needs arising from a disability.

If you are awarded status after 1 September, partway through the year, you could become entitled to some of this funding.


Humanitarian Protection

With HP you are not entitled to the same immediate entitlement to student support as those with full refugee status. You must also meet the three year residence requirement before the first day of the first academic year of the course - the first day is usually the 1st September.


You can find more about the qualifying rules for home fees and the student funding eligibility rules for undergraduate study by checking the information on the.

The funding rules are complex, so if you are unsure of your entitlement and would like to discuss this, please get in touch with the Money and Welfare Team.


Financial Support

Picture of a girl holding a pound coin Funding for Asylum Seekers at Recru it networ

Article 26 is a project supported by the Helena Kennedy Foundation which is committed to supporting disadvantaged students and enabling them to continue their studies in higher education. Recru it networ is working with the Article 26 project to offer scholarships to students who are seeking Asylum or have some form of temporary status who do not have access to Student Finance.

For more information about the Article 26 Scholarship and how to apply please visit the Funding for Asylum Seekers webpage.

External Sources of Funding

There are a number of charities that may be able to offer bursaries and scholarships to Asylum Seeking students. Please visit the webpages below to find out more information about external sources of funding. 

An HKF award is about much more than money. The financial support provided to HKF award winners will be vital in enabling students who face financial difficulties to progress to higher education. 


Up to three people a year will be supported by the Westheimer Trust to study for a first degree or professional qualification in the field of healthcare through a scholarship ranging from £10-20k a year. The scholarship is administered by the Refugee Support Network who can be ed for further advice regarding this scholarship. 


Personalised Financial Advice and Support

If you are unsure about funding your studies or you experience any financial difficulties during your course  then you can our Money Advisers in the Student Services Centre for specific advice and guidance regarding your situation and your options. For more information you can visit the Money Advice and Guidance webpages or email [email protected]

Support for Care Leavers

 If you came to the UK as an unaccompanied minor and are currently under the care of your local authority or have recently left care, we offer a wide range of support for applicants and students who have been in care.

For more information and to get in touch please visit the support for care leavers webpage.

Personal Support

We understand that applying for settled status and waiting for a decision on your immigration status can be a stressful time. Therefore, we offer a range of support that can help with any personal or academic issues that may arise throughout your time at Keele.

Student Welfare

The Money and Welfare Team can offer advice and guidance on a range of different issues that you may face at University. If you would like to speak to an adviser you can them by phone, email or attend one of the daily drop in services in the Student Services Centre.

Counselling and Mental Health Support

University can be an exciting time but it can also bring with it stress and challenge. The Counselling and Mental Health service offers a team of experienced counsellors who can support you during your time at University if you need it.

Support on your course

All students at Keele are allocated a personal tutor who is a single point of on your course. Your personal tutor can provide advice, support and general guidance on academic and non-academic issues. 

If you are experiencing any personal difficulties that may affect your studies you can submit extenuating circumstances to your school for these to be taken into consideration. 

Careers and Employability

The Careers and Employability service provide careers guidance, advice and information to help you achieve your career plans.  You can  careers to make an appointment to receive personalised careers advice and guidance to help you throughout your studies and beyond.  

Disability and Dyslexia Support

If you have a disability, including specific learning difficulties or mental health and wellbeing issues the team can advise on a wide range of support to meet your individual needs. It is a good idea to  the team before you arrive at Recru it networ to discuss any support you may need.

Further sources of information and support

There are a number of external agencies and charities that provide support and advice for Asylum Seekers wishing to enter Higher Education.

  • : can provide financial bursaries, mentoring and support for asylum seekers, enabling them to progress to and attend Higher Education.
  • : Works with asylum seekers and refugees in the UK.
  • : the national advisory body for international students in the UK. They provide advice and information to current and potential students.
  • - work with young people affected by displacement and crisis, enabling them to access, remain and progress in education at multiple stages in the education journey.

A Student's Perspective

Watch our video of one our current Article 26 scholarship recipients talking about their experiences of accessing Higher Education and support available at Keele.

Planning your Future

Careers and Employability 

Careers and Employability seek to support and inform you throughout your time at Keele and beyond, whether you are very clear about your career plans or have not given your future a second thought.  Either way, your dedicated Careers Adviser, Keren Coney, is available to discuss how to make the most of your future.

Keren careers adviser Please Keren for:
  • support with planning your career
  •  advice on job-searching strategies
  • suggestions on how to create winning CVs and how to be successful at interview
  • information relating to careers, employers and work
To Keren, you can:
  • Email [email protected]
  • Telephone (01782) 734623
  • Call in to Careers and Employability, on the ground floor of the Library.

Contact nameKate Mayer
Telephone01782 734481

[email protected]

Stand Alone Support Groups Cropped

is a charity that supports people who are estranged from their families and can provide advice and support. 
They also offer support groups across the country that provide a non-judgemental space where you can share thoughts and experiences with others in a similar position together. For more information.
If you would like to attend a Stand Alone support group but may require support with travel expenses please  [email protected]