Careers and Employability
Explore this Section
We have a commitment to provide careers guidance, advice and information to help you achieve your career plans. Whether you are looking to enter a graduate career, applying for further study or aim to become self-employed we will offer a wide range of services, resources and activities for you.
In the Careers and Employability Centre you have access to the following:
- The Information and Soon events Co-ordinator and Administrator are available to help you identify the information you need.
- Career ideas for undergraduates and postgraduates of every discipline, including a computer programme designed to help you generate career ideas.
- Specialist materials for students with disabilities and international students.
- Occupational information on most graduate occupations from advertising to social work.
- Directories and appropriate web signposting for postgraduate study and funding.
Guidance and Advice
Short appointments are your best way to initially see a Careers Adviser. These one to one 20 minute sessions are available on a frequent basis allowing you to start your career planning and move forward. The session will cover whatever you need it to. Sessions commonly explore:
- What career options are open to me?
- What career would I be suited to?
- How do I secure work experience?
- What skills are employers looking for?
- Is my CV fit for purpose?
- How do I apply for postgraduate courses?
- What do I do to prepare for an interview?
- How do I equip myself for assessment centres?
See available appointment times. All sessions can be booked online at .
A limited number of longer guidance interviews are available to students if additional time is needed to follow on from issues arising at the session.
Careers e-guidance is also available for queries and for support such as CV checks and application form advice. Emailto access this service.
If you are not sure which is the best way for you to access the service, just ask us! Call in to our Careers and Employability Centre located on the 1st Floor of the Campus Library, emailor ring us on 01782 733523 and we will point you in the right direction.
Workshops and Presentations
Presentations: we have a number of external speakers each year. Since the Autumn Semester 2013 these included Shropshire County Council, Santander, ICAEW, The NHS Management Scheme and Grindeys Solicitors. Workshops: these covered a wide range of topics including psychometric testing, making effective applications, securing work experience and law-related topics.
Go to the events page for further details of the current programme and online booking. We also have a Graduate Careers Fair in October - keep an eye on the events page for more details.
We provide access to both local and national vacancies for both graduate employment and work experience. Our resources include: