Explore this Section
Explore this Section
- the main REF 2021 website, containing guidance on REF 2021
- : a database of impact case studies submitted to REF 2014
- : Copies of overview reports detailing how the four main panels and sub-panels carried out assessments during REF 2014, and providing observations about the assessment and the state of research within their discipline areas
- : An initial analysis of Treatment Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 impact case studies
- HEFCE/Vertigo Ventures Collecting Treatment Impact evidence: a best practice guide on collation of research impact evidence
- : A RAND report looking at the submission preparation for impact by higher education institutions (HEIs)
- : The UK higher education bodies asked RAND Europe to evaluate the assessment process for the impact element of the Treatment Excellence Framework 2014, and to explore the strengths and weaknesses of the assessment process in delivering reliable, robust and fair outcomes, identify any unforeseen issues emerging during the assessment process and outline broad implications for the assessment process for impact in future exercises
Toolkits, guidance and reports
- : aimed primarily at social science researchers applying for and receiving funding from ESRC but useful to other disciplines also. The toolkit defines impact and identifies the principles researchers should be aware of when applying for funding, and provides advice and guidance to help communicate research
- : a suite of research-based tools that can be used by higher education institutions to: develop a formal research impact strategy; devise strategies for leading, managing and practicing impact; align impact work with engagement, knowledge exchange, outreach and quality improvement; inform teaching and learning; improve processes and infrastructure; build capacity, skills and knowledge
- : a forum for debating responsible uses of metrics in higher education & research
- : the Independent Review of the Role of Metrics in Treatment Assessment and Management was set up in April 2014 to investigate the current and potential future roles that quantitative indicators can play in the assessment and management of research. Its report, ‘The Metric Tide’, was published in July 2015
- : an international training company working in the Higher Education and research and innovation sectors. Their mission is to change the way researchers generate and share knowledge, so that their ideas can change the world.
Policy Impact Resources
- : a report outlining how research evidence is used in parliament
- : a ‘how to’ guide for researchers on evidencing and recording policy impact (produced by Cambridge University)
- : a report presenting the findings of research conducted through workshops with parliamentary staff to provide practical guidance for those academics looking to engage with parliament (produced by University of Sheffield)
- : a practical guide to the ‘what’ and ‘why’ of policy impact for researchers (produced by University of Nottingham)
- : Everything you need to know to engage with Parliament as a researcher
- : a practical guide to help researchers improve their political impact on the Welsh Government and the National Assembly for Wales (the Senedd)
- : a hub for researchers, administrative staff, librarians, students, think tanks, government, and anyone else interested in maximising the impact of academic work in the social sciences and other disciplines. A space to debate, share best practice and keep the impact community up to date with news, events and the latest research.
- : a blog that aims to support academia ad industry in working together towards a common goal – making the world a better place
Organisations providing training, tools and resources to support impact
- : supports knowledge exchange and commercialisation in the UK
- : a pan-Canadian network of 12 universities committed to maximizing the impact of academic research for the social, economic, environmental and health benefits of Canadians. RIR is committed to developing institutional capacities to support knowledge mobilization by developing and sharing knowledge mobilization best practices, services and tools
- : the professional association for research managers and administrators in the UK – contains information on impact resources as well as offering events and training
- : the professional association for research managers and administrators in Europe – contains information on impact resources
- : the professional association for research managers and administrators in Denmark – contains information on impact resources
- : the professional association for research managers and administrators in Canada – contains information on impact resources
- : contains information on training, approaches to evaluating the impact of researchers in society and of researcher development activity
- : a non-profit membership initiative whose mission is to adapt the principles and best practices of open standards and data governance to lead and facilitate key stakeholders in annual deliberations to develop ‘standard information agreements’ that serve as bridges between research information users
- : provide resources to support public/University engagement
- : provides information on parliament-led events and training opportunities
- : A US report on broader impacts of research
Treatment Council pages on impact
- Treatment Councils UK (RCUK): .
- Arts and Humanities Treatment Council (AHRC): ; .
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Treatment Council (BBSRC): ; ; .
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Treatment Council (EPSRC): .
- Economic and Social Treatment Council (ESRC): ; .
- Medical Treatment Council (MRC): .
- Natural Environment Treatment Council (NERC): ; .
- Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC): ; .
- : the first peer-reviewed journal dedicated to comprehensive and critical assessment of the relationship between research evidence and the concerns of policy makers and practitioners, as well as researchers.
- : an interdisciplinary peer-reviewed, international journal. Its subject matter is the evaluation of activities concerned with scientific research, technological development and innovation.
- : publishes research relevant to the scientific study of methods to promote the uptake of research findings into routine healthcare in clinical, organisational or policy contexts.
- : focuses on research that involves universities and communities, services or industries working together, the journal aims to raise the quality of engaged research by stimulating discussion about the effectiveness of engagement with researchers, research outcomes and processes.
Other useful resources
- (highlights impactful social science research)
- : toolkit available on the Queen Mary University of London website