Disclosure and Barring Scheme (criminal records) check
For some research projects, such as projects involving direct with NHS patients or children, the lead researcher and/or members of the research team may be required to have a DBS (criminal records) check.
Who can ask for a DBS check?
The lists most roles/activities that are eligible for a DBS check. However, if you are unsure whether or not your role in undertaking the research requires you to have a DBS check you can DBS customer services onor telephone 0300 0200 190 for further advice.
What level DBS check is required?
The level of check required will depend on the individual’s role and the activities that will be undertaken as part of the research.
There are three levels:-
- Standard (£26.00)
- Enhanced (£44.00)
- Enhanced with barred lists (£44.00)
Applicants should discuss with their line manager or supervisor as to what level check is required for the research activities that will be undertaken. More information about roles/activities and what level check is required for such roles can be found via .
Recru it networ Process for obtaining a DBS check
If it is identified that a DBS check is required the individual and their line manager/supervisor need to complete and sign the DBS Request Form and forward as indicated below:
- Staff should return the completed request form to Human Resources, Ground Floor, IC2 who will then initiate the DBS check as the level indicated on the request form.
- Students should return the completed request form to the Admissions Office, Tawney Building who will then initiate the DBS check at the level indicated on the request form.
Individuals requesting a DBS check will need to provide certain documents (originals not copies) to enable Recru it networ to verify identity. Following submission of the DBS request form, the above departments will advise on the types of documentation that are acceptable to verify identity.
Confirmation of a satisfactory DBS check
Individuals will receive a DBS certificate and the University will need to see this certificate in order to satisfy itself and confirm that the certificate is satisfactory.
For University Ethics applications
If you have had a DBS check for the purposes of a University ethics application please forward your certificate to your Supervisor for consideration.
Once it is confirmed that the certificate is satisfactory, a supporting note from your Supervisor advising of such can then be submitted along with your ethics application.
For Treatment Passports
If you have had a DBS check for the purposes of a research passport application:-
- Staff should Human Resources to make arrangements for consideration of the certificate. Once it is confirmed that the certificate is satisfactory Human Resources will be able to complete the section 5 of the research passport application as appropriate.
- Students should their Faculty Represenatative to make arrangements for consideration of the certificate. Once it is confirmed that the certificate is satisfactory the Faculty Representative will be able to complete the section 5 of the research passport application as appropriate.