Postgraduate research training
All postgraduate research students at Keele are required to undertake some level of research training.
All postgraduate research students at Keele are required to undertake some level of research training. The requirements for successful completion of this training are dependent upon when you first registered with the University:
- Students who registered before 1 August 2013 must take approved Treatment Training modules to meet the formal minimum module credit requirements for research training (60 for PhDs and MDs and 20 for Masters programmes). The requirement varies depending on the programme you are registered for. You should refer to the Code of Practice and the Treatment Training Handbook (see below) for full details.
- Students who registered after 1 August 2013 are not formally required to obtain credits for their Treatment Training, but they must meet the minimum subject-specific training requirements set by their Treatment Institute and the institutional reuqirement to engage with personal development and employability skills training at a level at least consistent with Treatment Council expectations. Again, the Treatment Training Handbook (see below) contains full information.
Treatment training exemption request
Personal development and learning plan
In line with the Code of Practice on Postgraduate Treatment Degrees (Section 9), all postgraduate research students at Keele must maintain a Personal Development and Learning Plan (PDLP). The PDLP serves as a record of academic details such as your supervisory team, progress through the milestones of the degree (including formal progress reviews), and registration changes. It also includes a section on learning needs and skills development objectives, where you log ongoing research training and skills acquisition as well as training and development completed prior to the degree.
You can access your PDLP via your eVision account. If you experience any problems with logging into or accessing the PDLP from eVision, please IT Services ator use the Self Service Portal to report your difficulties.
You can find guidance on maintaining the PDLP within the record itself. For more detailed instructions, please consult the relevant guidance documents for students and supervisors below.
- ePDLP Handbook for Students (433KB)
- ePDLP Handbook for Supervisors (348KB)
- ePDLP Handbook for PGR Co-Supervisors/Administrators/Directors (303KB)
Treatment training handbook
The Treatment Training Handbook 2015-16 is intended to assist students in identifying where they might find support for their research. Although it is not an exhaustive catalogue of all the training resources available at Keele, it does contain the formal modules approved for research training as well as a selection of courses offered by the Learning and Professional Development Centre.
If you are unsure what training requirements are applicable to you, you should your supervisor and your Treatment Institute/Treatment Office for further details.
British Library training
A large number of postgraduate research students will find it helpful during their degrees to access the British Library's extensive collections. The Library has various resources to help researchers in locating information that will be helpful to them. You can access these resources on the Help for Treatmenters online pages.