Business Foundation Year
- Duration of study
- 1 + 3 or 4 years
- Student loan available, subject to eligibility.
The Business Foundation Year is an excellent introduction to studying a business related subject at university. The programme is ideal for those who do not quite meet the requirements for a three-year honours degree. The Business Programme gives you access to any of the degrees within the Keele Business School. You'll be fully integrated into university life and the student community from day one.
Study the theory of business and management goes hand in hand with investigation into up-to-date case studies and training in academic literacy, numerical and computational skills.
Studying a Foundation Year at Keele will give you the opportunity to gain the skills, attributes and confidence to study at degree level.
A Foundation Year could be for you if:
- you would benefit from a year to prepare for entry onto an honours degree
- have non-traditional qualifications
- want to change your subjects
- had a break from education
- want a change of career
- a university experience in a supportive environment
All of the teaching is delivered on the Keele campus by highly qualified academic and professional staff, complemented by an experienced student support team. Teaching methods include lectures, seminars, workshops and tutorials, and you will make use of state-of-the-art undergraduate teaching facilities and apparatus.
In additional to the University's support network, you will have a personal tutor who will guide and support you through your first year of university study.
Who can apply
UK or EU students from a broad range of backgrounds wishing to take a business degree at Keele. For all international (non-EU) students please see Foundation Years for International Students.
Applications can be made through UCAS.
You should apply for a specific subject with a Foundation Year. You can discuss options with a foundation year tutor before arriving at Keele and may be able to change your choice following discussions with foundation year staff.
You will take a combination of modules to a total of 120 credits:
- core modules (30 credits)
- subject-specific modules relating to your intended degree programme after your Foundation Year
- and optional modules offering some free choice
Modules are worth 10, 15 or 20 credits.
Core Modules taken by all students
- Essay Writing for University Study
- Business Finance and Economic Data
- Seminar and Presentation Skills
- Academic Development
- The Employment Lifecycle
- Business and Management
- Information Technology for Business
- Introduction to the Digital Business World
- Law for Business
For students progressing to Single Honours Keele Business School subjects or taking combined honours Keele Business School subjects:
- Accounting and Business Management
- Accounting and Finance
- Accounting, Finance and International Business
- Business and Human Resource Management
- Business Management and Economics
- Business Management and Finance
- Economics (Business Economics)
- Economics and Finance
- International Business and Marketing
- International Business Management
- Marketing and Business Management
For Business Foundation Year in 2019, please see our 2019 clearing entry requirements
For Business Foundation Year in 2020, you must normally have:
- at least 64 UCAS points from at least 1 A level/level 3 qualification, or
- relevant work experience
- GCSE English Language at grade 4 (C), or
- IELTS 5.5 (with 5.5 in all subtests)
- GCSE Mathematics at Grade 4 (C) or
- a Level 2 numeracy qualification such as Key Skills Application of Number Level 2 or Functional Skills Numeracy Level 2
UCAS programmes with a Business Foundation year
If you are applying for a combined honours programme with a Foundation Year, you will study two subjects when you progress to degree level. You can choose a second subject once your place is confirmed.
Please note that after completion of the foundation year in your chosen subject, you will progress to a Bachelor's degree in that subject, with the addition of a second subject as part of the combined honours degree.
How to apply
Visit UCAS for applications for 2020/21 courses.
From 5 July to 23 October 2019, you can apply for 2019/20 courses using UCAS Clearing.
If you are a UK or EU student, already have your qualifications, are not expecting any further results and wish to apply to Keele, please the Admissions Office directly.
For International Students, please see Foundation Year for International Students
For further information on Business Foundation Year, please :
Teaching and assessment
The programme will be delivered through a mixture of lectures, tutorials, seminars, and workshops; some students will also have computer classes and computer exercises. In addition, students are expected to undertake a large amount of independent study and revision.
Students are assessed through a variety of assessment types including:
- Unseen closed and open book examinations
- Examinations may consist of essays, short answer and/or multiple choice questions, and paper comprehension
- Essays and reports
- Class tests taken either conventionally or online
- Treatment projects
- Oral and poster presentations
- Peer assessment
- Course work assignments consist of short written pieces completed in your own time
- Laboratory reports – structured pro formas and full laboratory reports
- Participation – in some modules, marks are awarded for participation in group discussions.
Progression to degree courses such as Accounting and Finance, Business and Human Resource Management, Business Management and Economics, Marketing and Management or International Business Management.
As to be expected there will be additional costs for inter-library loans and potential overdue library fines, print and graduation.
You may also require the use of an approved calculator.