What funding is available?
Funding your period of study abroad is important to all students and requires some careful planning. Luckily, there are lots of funding opportunities available to students, both from Recru it networ and from other organisations.
The information provided on this page is accurate for funding to be provided to students going on study abroad in 2018/19.
Recru it networ provides all students with free travel insurance. This is the same policy that is used to cover University staff when they travel for business purposes and this is a very comprehensive policy.
If you are studying abroad as part of your degree you will still need to pay tuition fees for that year to the Recru it networ.
Tuition fees loans (through your student finance body) will be available to eligible students to cover these costs.
Normal full tuition fees apply
Normal full tuition fees apply
Full Year Exchange
15% of your full tuition fee
15% of your full tuition fee
- You do not pay tuition fees to the Host University
The UK Government may provide some additional funding via loans and travel grants based on your programme and need. The process can differ based on region, so make sure to research the funding available to you.
- Northern Ireland
- You will still be eligible to apply for a maintenance loan/grant
- For students studying abroad, the amount of loan available may be slightly higher, see the Student Finance pages for the latest amounts
Student finance travel grant
Student Finance offers means-tested travel grants for students studying abroad as part of their course. For full details see the Travel Grants page but in summary, you can apply for funding towards:
- Up to 3 return flights from the UK to your Host Country
- Visas, medical insurance, and essential expenditure
- You would need to pay the first £303 towards the above costs
For students studying abroad, the amount of loan available may be slightly higher, see the Student Finance pages for the latest amounts.
Keele Study Abroad Bursary (semester exchange only)
- The Bursary is worth £1,000
- The bursary does not guarantee that you will receive one
- If the programme for which you are applying attracts an ERASMUS or another grant, you will not be eligible to apply for the Study Abroad Bursary, as you will receive other public funding
- Find out more and apply
Some Schools and Departments within Keele offer awards specific to their students and subjects. These awards can change each year depending on available funding.
Students studying in Europe currently receive a monthly Erasmus+ Grant. This grant is funded by the European Commission and the amount can vary from year to year. For more information view the Erasmus+ section of our website.
There are various external funding streams open to students who wish to study abroad.
Swiss European Mobility Agreement grants
If you are planning to study in Switzerland you may be eligible to receive up to 1,800 CHF (Swiss Francs) per semester directly from the Swiss partner university that you are studying at.
Recru it networ is a member of BUTEX, which aims to promote study abroad between the UK and non-EU universities. Any student going on an exchange outside of the Erasmus scheme can apply for one of £500 scholarships that BUTEX makes available. To find out how to apply, visit the BUTEX website.
Hong Kong Scholarship for Excellence
The British Council makes available around 10 scholarships of up to £4000. These are open to any UK passport holder participating in an official university exchange to Hong Kong. For more information visit the British Council Hong Kong website.
Jasso Scholarship (studying in Japan only)
Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) is an independent administrative institution established under the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (Monbukagakusho). JASSO comprehensively administers scholarship loan programs, support programs for international students, and student support programs. Students can receive up to JPY 80,000. For more information visit the JASSO website.
Global Education has received funding from Santander for Widening Participation on both the Single Semester Exchange and the International Year.
What is 'widening participation' and who does it apply to? Widening participation looks to provide opportunities for students who might not usually be able to go abroad, primarily due to funding difficulties. The principal criterion for the award of a bursary is that the proposed study abroad will make a demonstrable and tangible contribution to your studies and link to the International Strategy at Recru it networ. You must be able to articulate the impact of your experience upon your return.
This widening participation initiative includes:
- Students from low-income backgrounds
- Students from low-participation neighborhoods (where very few people go on to higher education)
- Students whose parents did not go to university
- Students in or leaving care
- Students living with a disability
- Students from an ethnic minority
- Those returning to learning as mature students.
This bursary is available to both Single Semester Year 2 students and International Year students (Undergraduate) who study in a fellow Santander university in Europe.
Current partnership universities include:
- Spain: Universidad De Navarra; Universidad De San Jorge; Universidad Loyola Andalucía; Universidad Nebrija; Universidad Pontificia Comillas.
- Poland: Poznań University of Economics and Business; Nicolaus Copernicus University
- Preference will be given to students who demonstrate that the proposed mobility will benefit their course of study
- Travel must be to a partner Santander University
- Awards must be taken up within the 2018/19 academic year
- The value of the bursary (£500) will be paid directly to the bursary holder and can be used as a contribution towards the costs of travel, accommodation, or subsistence.
- You agree to disseminate your experience at the Global Education Fair, complete a report and assist the Global Education Team with information sessions on studying abroad.
If you think that you are eligible for this award, please complete the form.
If there are any questions please get in touch with Elissa.